BMW Motorrad and Alpinestars Launching Street Air Advanced Airbag System for Riders
BMW Motorrad is launching the BMW Motorrad Street Air by Alpinestars. Street Air is an advanced airbag system offering comprehensive upper body protection while giving the rider the ability to ride in on- and off-road situations.
The technology comes from the current Alpinestars Tech-Air® street airbag system – a system requiring no motorbike-mounted sensors. The airbag system of Alpinestars utilizes a sophisticated algorithm that detects imminent danger. The system inflates the full upper body airbag to provide a highly effective crash protection system, ahead of the first impact.
It offers instantaneous inflatable upper body protection to the back, kidneys, chest and shoulders – the most exposed areas in a crash. It is also fully independent, incorporating its sensors close to the rider’s or passenger’s body means the airbag activates without a trigger wireless signal to be sent from the bike.
This jacket is the first safety product to be launched under an exclusive agreement between BMW Motorrad and Alpinestars. The jacket will be available for both female and male riders in different colors from October 2016.
Key features of BMW Motorrad Street Air by Alpinestars:
- Full airbag inflation in 25 milliseconds
- Function is independent of the need for sensors to be installed on the bike
- Immediately ready for use
- Placing sensors near to the body means the airbag system can be used on road or for off-road adventure-touring.
- No need to deactivate the system if leaving the road for off-road trails or to stop in between to change settings.
- Changing surfaces while adventure-touring therefore presents no problem.
- System is fully weatherproof.